KNC501/KNC601 Constitution of India, Law and Engineering
Chapter 16: Electronic Governance
Digital Signature Certificates (DSC)
- A method to prove the authenticity of an electronic document.
- It can be presented electronically to prove the identity, to access information or sign certain documents digitally.
- The Central Government has appointed a Controller of Certifying Authorities who grants a license to the Certifying Authorities to issue digital signature certificates to the subscriber.
Who needs a DSC?
- A vendor and a bidder.
- A Chartered Accountant.
- Director of a company.
- A Company Secretary.
- Other Authorized Signatories.
Elements of Digital Certificate
- Owner’s public key.
- Owners name.
- The expiration date of Public Key.
- Name of the issuer.
- Serial Number of the certificate.
- A digital signature of the user.
Types of Certificate
1. Only Sign
It could only be used for signing a document. It is widely used in signing PDF Files for the purpose of filing Tax Returns for usage as an attachment for Ministry of Corporate Affairs or other government websites
It is used to encrypt a particular document. It is popularly used in tender portals to help a company encrypt a document before uploading it.
3. Sign along with Encryption
It is used for both signing and encrypting a particular document.
The DSC is valid up to a maximum period of three years.
DSC under the Information Technology Act, 2000
• Section 35:
Any person who wishes to get a Digital Signature Certificate may file an application to the certifying authority for issuance of the Electronic Certificate along with the submission of the required amount of fees not exceeding Rs. 25,000, including a statement of certification practice or stating such particulars as prescribed.
• Section 36:
Representations upon issuance of the DSC.
• Section 37:
Suspension in public interest, not more than 15 days, unless given the opportunity to present the case.
• Section 38:
Revocation on death or request of a subscriber, dissolution of a company or a firm.