KNC501/KNC601 Constitution of India, Law and Engineering
Chapter 6: Judiciary
Lokpal and Lokayukta Act 2013
- Recently, Justice Ghose was selected by the committee headed by the Prime Minister.
- Composition – Under the 2013 Act, the Lokpal should consist of a chairperson and the such number of members, not exceeding eight, of whom 50% should be judicial members.
- The Act states that not less than 50% of the members of the Lokpal should be from among persons belonging to the SCs, the STs, OBCs, minorities, and women.
- Selection Procedure – A search committee will prepare a panel of candidates, a selection committee will recommend names from among this panel and the President will appoint these as members.
- Salaries and allowances – Salaries, allowances and service conditions of the Lokpal chairperson will be the same as those for the Chief Justice of India; those for other members will be the same as those for a judge of the Supreme Court.