KVE301/KVE401 Universal Human Values and Professional Ethics
Chapter 1: Understanding Value Education
Basic Guidelines for Value Education
In order to qualify for any course on value education, the following guidelines for the content of the course are important:
- Universal: It needs to be applicable to all human beings irrespective of caste, creed, nationalities, religion, etc., for all times and regions.
- Rational: It has to appeal to human reasoning. It has to be amenable to reasoning and not based on dogmas or blind beliefs.
- Natural and verifiable: It has to be naturally acceptable to the human being who goes through the course and when we live on the basis of such values it leads to our happiness. It needs to be experientially verifiable, and not based on dogmas, beliefs, or assumptions.
- All encompassing: Value education is aimed at transforming our consciousness and living. Hence, it needs to cover all the dimensions (thought, behavior, work, and realization) and levels (individual, family, society, nature, and existence) of human life and profession.
- Leading to harmony: The value education ultimately is targeted to promote harmony within the individual, among human beings, and with nature.